Thursday 3 June 2010

Logan

I met Logan on Fannie Bay Road. He was scooting across the road on his little legs, avoiding cars as if in a game of Frogger. Luckily he made it across the road but kept running aimlessly so we pulled over and I jumped out to save him.

M and I were on our way to Deckchair Cinema, and had Arthur in the car.

Logan was a little black Scottish Terrier. He looked a bit like Arthur, but shorter and with a bigger head. He was adorable.

I ran up to him and he cowered, but let me pick him up. I could feel his little heart beating as I held him, looking around. I immediately checked for an ID tag, nothing. For a split second, I thought we might be taking him home.

But then there was a call and I turned around to see a man getting out of a car, and gesturing that I had something he wanted.

"Is he yours?" I asked.

"Yep. I opened the gate and he bolted."

"What's his name?"

"Logan," was the response.

I handed him back.

The name Logan has always reminded me of the suburb on the outskirts of Brisbane, half way to the Gold Coast and its not a place I remember fondly.

But I will remember little Logan fondly, with the burrs in his hair and his beating heart on his short adventure in Fannie Bay. How close he came to getting hit by a car... or coming home with us....

Arthur sniffed me suspiciously when I got back in the car, and we continued our drive.

No comments: